February 16, 2010

Quintessential Reading

It's actually not that quintessential, but I noticed that i have no post titles beginning with the Letter Q, and it was the first Q word that popped into my head!

So yesterday i mentioned that i wanted to cook dinner last night. Well sirs, I certainly did. I got home and checked out the veggie situation and saw carrots, potatoes, celery, zucchini.... immediately i thought MINESTRONE. Luckily we had tinned tomatoes, and lots of tinned beanzzz! And of course we always have onion and garlic. They are like housemates numbers 3 and 4.

So Hayden helped me prepare all the vegetables then i started cooking a big batch spread over 2 pots! It was around 7.30pm when i remembered i had to add the frozen beans and peas so i went to get them from the chest freezer in the laundry. To my horror, i opened it and it seemed as though it had been turned off for a few days at least. Everything was melted/thawed/off. With the wedding and valentines day over the weekend we did no cooking, so never realised! Although Maki said he noticed a bad smell, and Josh said that on FRIDAY he thought the bread was not frozen when he got it out of the freezer. I will give him credit because this was at 5:00am when he was getting ready for work. So yes, I threw most things away but a few things were fine still. It was so annoying. Good old Hayden flew down to the supermarket to get me some beans and peas and more So Good Ice Cream (as we had to throw away 3 melted tubs of it) while i cleaned up the mess. So i have fixed the faulty plug issue and hopefully this doesn't happen again.

On the bright side, the minestrone was awesommmee! I didn't take a photo in all the confusion, and Josh's mum came around when i was almost finished cooking it. If there is some left over tonight i will take a picture and post the recipe :)

Also last night we watched MAJOR PAYNE - an old childhood fave. It was still funny, but probably not AS funny. Maybe a different kind of funny. Just like 'The Mask' :D besssstt!

Ok, so here at work we have a Birthday tradition. Of course we do cake, but we also do $2 presents. They are meant to be jokes but people always buy proper things. On our lunch breaks you will find us at the $2 shop scrounging around for the best thing. One time i got a someone a piece of artificial fruit. Today is Dragana's birthday. She's my age and thinks I am funny because I know some Serbian swear words and say them out loud and nobody but her and I know what they mean. I also have my own tradition for people's birthdays. I write them strange poems. For example I wrote one for Lucinda a while back, and now everyone hassles me for them. So i am part-way through Dragana's but i keep getting interrupted (damn work!!) haha. I suck. I think it all started back in 2007 when i let my creative side show and now everyone looks forward to their poems or cards. I have little enthusiasm for it now cos it's expected of me, but i still do it. I went through a "rap" phase where they all sounded like rap lyrics. pretty funny. I'll post dragana's poem later. i have a headache and have had no coffee so it won't be greaaaaat.

Also. Dragana is obsessed with many things... Harry Potter, Hannah Montana (and she teases me for loving Spongebob! FFFFSSSSSS) , and Twilight. Oh yes, twilight. Just like everyone in the world is obsessed with it... except me. I haven't read any of the books or seen any of the movies, and the girls at work have been putting the pressure on more and more in the leadup to the 3rd movie. This morning they were telling me i should read it and i protested again. Before, I was playing this game with Drags (Dragana) where I ask "If you were at Hogwarts, what house would you be in?" (she answered "hopefully Griffyndor") and then we got to talking about who we would rather kiss out of Harry or Ron. She said Ron, which surprised me, cos that's my answer too. She also said she would prefer to kiss the twins than Harry. I started screaming and calling her a freak, until she explained she meant the BOOK TWINS, not the MOVIE TWINS. Thank fucking christ! That's when I realised that this other girl Kate hasn't read or seen any HP, which upsets and angers me, so i made a compromise - I would read the twilight books if she reads the HP books. While i know that HP is amazing, i am not so sure about twilight. I dunno, i DO like vampires... but i was repelled by all the hype.

This is happening folks. I will be undergoing what could be a life changing experience. I will no doubt be wearing an "I *heart* Edward" t-shirt next week. I am a little nervous, a little apprehensive, BUT i am also ready to let go and be washed away in the potential coolness of the books.

oh god. well even if i become a FAN, i will never be like this friend of my cousin. She is in Year 12 this year i guess, but last year she threw a Birthday party FOR the character Edward. Apparently you find out his date of birth in the book...? It was complete with a cake, a viewing of the movie, and playing the board game. Sounds like... fun. Apparently she is a little TOO obsessed. I think she was the only one enjoying herself that night!

Anyway, must write this poem, good boo!

3 comments:

  1. jade the books are good. they're not like omg amazing but i enjoyed them and i have good taste.......*cough*
    just dont watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade, I made the mistake of watching the movie first. Didn't love it, didn't like it, but didn't hate it. I won't read the books and I haven't rushed out to watch the second movie. Not totally keen on it at all.

    Harry Potter and Hannah Montana on the other hand, I loooove. :)

    SMP

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Major Payne...my namesake. ;) Loved that movie too.
    SMP

    ReplyDelete