July 10, 2009

Tofu Bake (for lack of a better name)

Continuing on my week of vegan cooking, I thought I'd share with you another delicious dead easy recipe. I also found this recipe in "Now Vegan!" by Lynda Stoner, and once again I adapted it to my mood at the time. Here is the version I made:

Ingredients:

- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
- shake of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 cups of cooked mashed pumpkin
- 2 blocks firm tofu, crushed with a fork or hands
- 1 zucchini, grated thickly
- 1 tin of chickpeas (rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons white or buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce if you don't have it)
- Sliced tomato for garnish
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Salt and pepper


* Boil some pumpkin then mash once it is cool - set aside

* Heat oil and saute the onion with the cumin, turmeric , cayenne pepper, fennel and garlic. Add the zucchini, saute until zucchini softens.

* Mash the tofu and chickpeas in a bowl, add the pumpkin an the onion mix, then mix in all the remaining ingredients.

* Press it into a baking dish of your choice - i chose a deep one so it would look like slices of meatloaf or something. I was considering a round fluted edge tin, so you could have a decorative wedge -but there was A LOT of mixture - i ended up freezing half of it for later use - so i chose the big mama!

* Anyway, the original recipe didnt call for tomato slices but I thought they'd look really pretty. I just pressed them into the top and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Bung it in the oven (180 decrees C) until the top starts going golden brown and it is heated through (again this depends on the kind of dish).






This was such an easy easy recipe, and i am wondering what else i can add to it... mushrooms..? roasted red pepper slivers...? I think the tomato is a MUST, its such a good juicy contrast to the spices. Try it, you'll be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment