July 6, 2009

Daftly DIY: Re-upholstered Chair

.

As "the cleaner" from Black Books (season 1 episode 3 "Grapes of Wrath") would say: "dirty"...

There is no denying that this chair is feral. I bought it from Savers for $6.99 last week thinking i could do something with it. It looks a bit like a little make up chair or something. I was hesitant to touch it to be honest, some of those stains leave a lot to the imagination. Before i even started on it, Chester already claimed it as his chair. It is the perfect size for him to curl up on and watch the Young Ones (nitpickers please note the assortment of badges in the bottom left corner of the TV, worn by Rick).

So the first step was to pull off the old material so i could use it as a template for my new ZEBRA material. It took ages because i had to remove about 6 billion staples in order to get the fucking material off in the first place. I also had to dis-assemble the chair into 3 peices in order to expose all the staples. The shit i found under the cushion was weird. I found little tiny rubber hair ties, pink glitter stars, some beads, some fish tank pebbles, and of course a lot of crumbs and dust. yuck. So yeah, I ended up with the round base, the top seat bit, and the cushion. I tell you what, i have cuts all over my fingers from the nails, the staples and the screwdriver slipping and jabbing me. I also snapped the cushion a bit as it had a chipboard base. Ooopsie! A bit too rough with the screwdriver / lever. Anywho, then I measured out all my new material, sewed where sewing was due, and fitted it all on. I then re-did all my destruction by issuing out 700 trillion staples to fasten all the material down. Finally i nailed the seat onto the base, and placed the cushion nicely ontop. TADA:

Now the question remains: What the hell do i do with it...?

No comments:

Post a Comment