July 30, 2009

things i want to cook

These will prob have to wait until i am better, as when i get home from work now i usually head straight to the couch and whinge for the better part of the night.

But i keep thinking: "When i am better i will make...."
1) ONIGIRI!!!!!!!




















These are basically triangles of rice with a decorative strip of seaweed. They are surprisingly fiddly to make though. They even sometimes have fillings inside like fish or some sort of paste. I lived on these suckers as snacks in Japan. They sell a huge variety at every convenience store - which if you have been to japan you will know are EVERYWHERREEEE!!!! I also made these the first time i went to Japan in 2003. I was doing homestay with a family in Osaka and helped to cook one night when we had an overnight stay in a traditional Japanese hut amongst some nice mountain ranges. Fun Fact: It's also where i got my first taste of Sukiyaki. Oh god i love Sukiyaki.


2) Okonomiyaki!!! (Hiroshima Style of course)

If you have been reading my blog you will know how much i love this dish, and how the Melbourne Scene is just not hip enough to make it. I endeavour to cook this sucker soon, now that I know Josh is eating dairy and rarely meat :) yaaay!


3) Baked Saffron rice with Lamb Curry filling :
Terrible photo, but it sounds amazing. I was told about this Persian/Iranian thing, where they cook their rice and then add butter to the pot/rice cooker - then the rice seeps down to the bottom and the bottom layer goes crispy - and its a delicasy to get a bit of the crunchy rice. I started to check out the internet and came across this recipe that is a similar concept.
Basically you make some Saffron Rice, and some lamb curry. You get a round ovenproof bowl and put some rice in the bottom and up the sides, spreading it in a thick layer. Then you put all the curry in the well of rice, filling the bowl almost to the top. Then put more rice ontop of that to cover it. You bake it in the oven and when its ready tip it out upside down on a plate (as pictured above). Then everyone commences to crack the rice with their spoons/forks and the lamb curry comes oozing out like a delicious lamby curry-y filling. im not very clever today with my words. haha.
I shall endeavour to make these things soon, it is an I.O.U to you all. Weee, heehee!

No comments:

Post a Comment