September 18, 2009

my very first onigiri

last night i made one of my favourite Japanese snacks - "onigiri". I guess you could say it is like sushi because it involves rice and seaweed and a filling. They are little parcels of goodness, and i have fond memories of buying them for like 130yen at the convenience stores as a little snack to take on the train. My favourite ones are the salmon filling, but our salmon just isn't the same so i opted for tuna mix :D

They are really dead simple to make and are good for any time of the day! I like plain rice, which is basically what it is, with a few little bits of flavour. I gave one to a girl at work and she said it didn't have enough flavour for her :( oh well, more for me!

Boil some sushi rice, cut some seaweed into strips, and make a tuna mix (tuna, mayo, spring onions).

Wet your hands otherwise it is impossible to mould into shape. Mould into balls and poke your finger in to make a hole. Stuff the tuna into it, and then cover it up with rice. Then start to mould it into a triangle. Put a bit of seaweed on it, and you have the below yummy snacks!



No comments:

Post a Comment