April 14, 2010

twilight and moths

Tonight is the night of nights my friends! My friend Maslin is hosting a twilight night! New Moon came out on DVD today and we will be watching it, along with a delicious dinner of lasagnaaaa. ("We're making Italiano for you, Bella") awesome!!! If i'm not mistaken, I think she and I are the only Team Edward peeps tonight. Everyone else appears to be in the stinky dog kennel that is team JACOB. i jest, i jest. Jacob's ok.

Anyway, I was thinking of bringing something funny along tonight so I googled twilight party and found this cool twilight party guide. jesus christ, a lot of thought went into that.

This gets me thinking about my birthday partayyyy this year. It's in June, and I will be turning 23. 23, wowza. I have lots of ideas floating around as I want a themed party this time. Pretty sure my last themed party was my 21st and it was Op-Shop Formal Dress. Was pretty funny! I think once I get some more definate ideas i'll do a post about it. Stay tuned for THAT!

Also I listened to another podcast from "The Moth" this morning, and it was great! It was an ex NYC cop called Steve Osborne telling one of his impeccably recalled stories from his 20 years of service in New York. He was this really funny, charismatic, wise-ass jester with a thick Brooklyn accent that just makes you smile. It seems as though he is a regulr, so I'd love to hear more of his stuff!

Cool artwork IMO. Check out the website for more info, it looks like quite a few celebrities have told stories for The Moth too! I got this from the website...

What is The Moth?

The Moth, a not-for-profit storytelling organization, was founded in New York in 1997 by poet and novelist George Dawes Green, who wanted to recreate in New York the feeling of sultry summer evenings on his native St. Simon's Island, Georgia, where he and a small circle of friends would gather to spin spellbinding tales on his friend Wanda's porch. After moving to New York, George missed the sense of connection he had felt sharing stories with his friends back home, and he decided to invite a few friends over to his New York apartment to tell and hear stories. Thus the first "Moth" evening took place in his living room. Word of these captivating story nights quickly spread, and The Moth moved to bigger venues in New York. Today, The Moth conducts eight ongoing programs and has brought more than 3,000 live stories to over 100,000 audience members.


Why "The Moth"?

The screen around Wanda's porch had a hole where moths would flutter in and get trapped in the light. Similarly, George and his friends found that the characters in their best stories would often find themselves drawn to some bright light—of adventure, ambition, knowledge—but then find themselves burned or trapped, leaving them with some essential conflict to face before the story could reach its conclusion. So George and his original group of storytellers called themselves "The Moths". George took the name with him to New York, where he hoped that New Yorkers, too, would find themselves drawn to storytelling as moths to a flame. They did. With no advertising, through sheer word of mouth, every show to date has sold out in 48 hours or less.

AWESOME! And you know what else is awesome? I am going to take pictures of this lovely night tonight and show you all in due time :D weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

5 comments:

  1. All this twilight madness, im starting to feel a bit left out….maybe I shouldn’t come tonight….
    Also im not team Jacob OR team Edward! I just don’t find either of them attractive! I only liked Edward in the books…. So ner on your stinky dog kennel face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nooooooo! don't be silly! Maslin and I are the ones who should feel left out as we are the only edward fans out of everyone i know! it's crazy!! why is jacob so *pop*-u-lar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that a darren hayes reference? I feel left out that I don’t love twilight! haha
    I don’t know why girls like him, its gotta be the muscles cos it sure isn’t his face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, i thought i was referring to n*sync... but now i realise that nsync did "dirty pop" aha. nice pick up! yeah its definately the muscles, his face looks like a little boy's face and it creeps me out to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha. nah its his brow that bothers me, its too heavy set...there i said it!
    then again pattinson has a flat wide face that also creeps me out. cant believe there was a time i ever thought he was goodlooking. EW!

    ReplyDelete