April 13, 2010

bane of my existence: wheelie suitcases

I have to let you in on a little quirk I have. That little quirk is called 'anger'. I am usually pretty unphased by most things, but when I am hung-over or have a cold or am too cold or too hot or have PMS I get unreasonably and irrationally angry. After my work's Christmas party, we were walking to lunch in China Town hung-over and I got unreasonably angry at the man in front of me, but in particular his pin stripe suit. It was just too much. Today, I got angry at suitcases. You know those wheelie ones?

Well lately I have been noticing some (obviously) very important people trotting around town with those in tow. They have so much stuff to carry to work that they need a wheelie suitcase to fit it all in. The problem I have with this is that they walk slower than usual and drag them like a meter or so behind them. I saw one today and it reminded me of an unfortunate rush-hour annoyance last week. Usually I walk pretty fast and will just go around wheelie bag people if they are walking in front of me, but there's not much you can do when you are walking in a pack through the tunnels of Flinders Street Station and you see them pop up to your right, with their freshly acquired mX paper tucked under their arm and they decide to cut off the whole pack and slowly wheel across in front of you all, and go up the ramp to your left.

By this stage in my life I am pretty spatially aware and I know how much space to give people when walking next to or behind them. I also know that I can keep up my pace and just kind of slither around the back of someone if they are walking across my path. However that's pretty hard to do when someone's personal space increases to like 2 meters square due to the addition of one sporty suitcase. I didn't realise this man had a suitcase so I slowed down to let him pass, and I was about to continue walking just as his body passed mine, when I noticed that if I took one more step I would trip over his suitcase and land on my precious face (possibly with my mouth open from screaming, and my tongue scraping the floor). Obviously I had to abruptly stop walking - a faux pas in peak hour at Flinders - causing someone to bump into me from behind.

It seems like a non-issue, I know, but this shit is what sends some daily peak hour travelers over the edge, man! They have a train to catch. They have a particular seat they need to sit in before that other person who always obliviously steals their seat beats them to it once again, effectively RUINING their whole day. So by stopping, I potentially helped ruined someone's day. I don't want that on my conscience! No way! What if that person finally decided to put those murderous rampage thoughts into practice when they got home? What if they took their annoyance out on their kids by throwing all of their toys into the open fire. Just because you have told you kids a hundred times to pack up their toys before bed or else you would throw them in the fire, it doesn't mean you can actually do it, DAD! I really loved my Barbie horse van :(

No comments:

Post a Comment