September 14, 2010

dish 9) Chicken Kiev...from scratch

oh wowwww! Guess whattttt i had the best Chicken Kiev last night and... I MADE IT! :D wee-hoo i'm the best i'm the best at life and various other things wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! suck it, suck my fat one, EAT IT!

Ok, now that's out of the system, I have to apologise for the lack of photos to accompany this post... my camera tragically and epically died and the back-up battery was dead also. DAGGONE IT! Daggone it Annie! Did you know thats what MJ said in Smooth Criminal? Well it's true, unless the Thai subtitle man did the wrong thing on the burnt music dvd is saw on Saturday. I highly doubt that, their grasp of English is impeccable. They could probably put me to shame. Ok enough Effin 'n' jeffin. Let me tell you about my Kievzzz :) I loosely followed this recipe i found on taste.com.au which appeared in Good Taste Magazine:

Ingredients (serves 2)
50 g coarse breadcrumbs made from day-old bread
1 tbs dried oregano leaves
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 single (about 200g each) chicken breast fillets, excess fat trimmed
Plain flour, to dust
1 egg white, lightly whisked

Herb butter
30g (1 1/2 tbs) butter, at room temperature
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Herbs of choice (I used basil and oregano pastes from Josh's fridge)
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

First, you mix the butter and herbs and S&P together in a bowl and spoon it onto some Glad wrap. Roll it into a log and place it in the freezer like so:

Then the camera died, but I can explain the rest! OK so the next thing i did was to flatten the chicken breasts out. You get a meat mallet and put the chicken between gladwrap sheets and then with the flat side pound the breast until it is flatter and rounder. That sounds weird. But here is a picture (which I found at Exclusively Food) of what you do next....

you place a little bit of the butter log on the breast and then roll the end over and the sides in to hold the butter in place during cooking. Roll up and leave on a plate in the fridge for a bit while you prepare the breadcrumbs. I used the 2 end bits of a loaf of Helgas bread. I didnt realise Josh had a blender so i used my hands to crumble it, then baked them in the oven for a few mins as a single layer, until they darkened and smelled toasty. I them transfered that to a bowl and added in dried oregano and salt and pepper to the mix.

Get 3 bowls, one with the flour, second with an egg white, and third with the breadcrumbs. Dip your kievs into the bowls in that order and then cook them whichever way you like. I pan fried them for a bit, then transfered to the oven so i could use the stovetop to get the veggies ready.

We made stirfried beans, wilted spinach and potato/pumpkin mash. Check dis out:



It was so tasty, we used all really good and fresh ingredients, as well as organic free range chicken... it was just amazing! You've gotta try it, you'll never get a Safeway Deli one again! Now i just need to work out how I can freeze these and then stock up :) WOO!

1 comment: