October 21, 2010

my relaxing weekend away

Firstly, awww, look at this egg I saw at Josh's mum's house on Saturday morning, how cute!


Anyway so despite the title, the weekend didn't start out that relaxing really. On Saturday I was tired and hadn't eaten anything still by 2pm-ish and was driving with Josh to Nagambie, when I suddenly felt the crazies set in. If I'm tired or hungry I can really act like a baby. Fo real. I can't even remember what I was being dramatic over. I think i was annoyed firstly at the scattered rain, which was torrential one moment and nothing the next, and the fact that my wipers were making that squeaky noise almost every time, regardless of all the rain. I was also trying to eat my roll, drive, use wipers and indicators in the Tulla freeway roadworks and I think Josh was trying to tell me something with the music loud and his mouth full of food. That might have done it. But once we got there at about 4.30pm I had a nap on the couch and was 100% after 15 mins. Poor Josh :)

The whole weekend was pretty much all about food - just the way I like it! Due to the serene setting and lack of distractions, you consequently have a limited number of things to do so you use meals to break up the day. It. was. amazing. ....Statement. We bought bags and bags of food and drink with us, and just thought we could take it home if we didnt eat it. We didn't even get close to finishing it! On Saturday night Josh wanted to make that Jamie Oliver Crispy Sticky chicken recipe again, so we had that with some salad and wine and watched about 3 episodes of Futurama with the directors commentary on. It's really interesting listening! We had healthy fruit and cereal breakfasts and then stuffed ourselves stupid for the rest of the waking hours. Cheese platters, chips, lollies - you name it, we ate it. On Sunday we went for a drive to Shepparton and got some new shoes (which i forgot to take photos of) and also did the obligatory SPC factory visit. I got a slab of Bundaberg "Peachee" and lots of those delicous Baxters Chutneys. That place is coco loco. We were too hungry to wait for our lunch plans so we got some KFC chips for the drive back. Gotta love drive-thru car chips!Yeah so we got dressed up and visited the local Tahbilk Winery to pick up a jar of the beautiful Purbrick & Crawford tomato and chili relish they sell, and got some late afternoon lunch at the Wetlands cafe there:




I had the herb encrusted salmon on a beetroot, carrot and herb salad. Josh had the beef with broccolini and a potato filled with its own potato mash. They were both so delicious. After that i'm pretty sure we went back to the cabin for a nap. I was so deep in my food coma that it was a bit of a blur. Seeing as we ate our lunch at about 4pm or something we ended up picking at a cheese platter and salad at around 10pm. That was a cool dinner :)

We also went into Nagambie town as I wanted to visit the antique shop where I got my kitchen hutch... but i saw it was under new ownership. I laughed because my dad had swiped 2 cheap souvenir bells from there on seperate occasions to give to me as a joke (he has a strange sense of humour and is rapidly becoming a full blown clepto). I told him that the bells were the lynchpin and he put the owners under. He didn't seem very upset, maybe only a little for the fact that his running joke was now over. The new owners had a table outside of $1 nick nacs and I got this:

This just reminded me of my family because when I was growing up, every cut or burn called for some Menthol Camphor. I showed this to my dad and he was pumped and his eyes went all glossy. He told me that his dad used to work for Watkins as a door-to-door salesman - I can't believe I never knew! I said he could keep the tin or give it to my nana as a gift. I will have to keep my eyes open for more cos I'd like to have one for myself :) The writing on the back is funny, it recommends use of menthol camphor for almost everything you can think of including cuts, burns, colds, rectal irritation, frostbite, non-venomous insect bites and they say it's also great after shaving. Hilarious.

Anyway on Monday I wanted to have a carboot picnic somewhere weird to tick off the list item "have a picnic in a strange location" but we couldn't think of anything good enough so instead I taught Josh how to drive my manual car and do hill startrs and everything...

.... all so that he could reverse it up to the view of the river and we could just eat lunch next to the cabin and watch the water flow by. We had leftover sticky chicken on rolls and some beer and chips. Very relaxing day...



I also painted my nails...

And watched lots of movies while Josh did his Uni Assignments like a good student. We watched "UP" and I cried about 3 times... hahahaa! What a sad/happy movie that was! Oh and also I made a delicious new dish which i will post about very very soon!! I didn't really take many photos, I was too busy laying on the couch or on the grass by the water enjoying the quiet :)
*sigh* I want to go back!

1 comment:

  1. Awww that looks so nice! & All the food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete