July 7, 2010

~-*-~the sound of wonder~-*-~

ohmygosh! Last night I got home from work and checked the letterbox for bills or other stupid letters, and to my ultimate supreeze (Count Olaf) there was a little letter in there for me from OVERSEAS! YAY! I love getting personal mail! This one turned out to be from my family in England. My uncle was transfered there for work early this year and they are having a blast! My 2 cousins are attending Primary School there, and they have been travelling all over Europe every chance they get. Amazing opportunity, nay? Here's my birthday card:

After I got all excited about getting this card I said to Maki that I was expecting a package from my cousin Andrew too and was worried nobody would be here to collect it. That's when he pointed out that it was sitting on the table and I had totally overlooked it. I was like double triple a billion excited! OK, I want to explain about my cousin! So, my dad's side of the family is HA-YUUUUGE! He is the youngest of 8, and he is nearly 51! My nana was/is a good Catholic woman and swears that each child was an immaculate conception. Ah-huh, sure thing sweet cheeks! So Andrew is a bit older than me and we didn't really grow up together. As soon as he was old enough he was out in the world travelling and having fun with his camera skillz - and i guess i was still in school so in a total different place!

Anyway so I can probably count the amount of times I've talked to him on my fingers, but it's cool cos he's awesome and it's not awkward at all when we do. Except for this one time about mmm 5 years ago haha! i was seeing the "Ramones: End of the Century" documentary in the city with some friends - and I was fresh out of high school in my tight black jeans, chuck taylors, purple/black hair and probably a Ramones t-shirt for the occasion. After the movie we were leaving the building when i saw him (on a date?) entering the building to see the next session. I was like "ANDREW!!?" and he spun around with a smile on his face, expecting to see a dear aquaintence, which faded ever so slowly as he failed to recognise who I was. He looked pretty confused, so I explained "It's Jade!.....(nothing).... your cousin!" then he clicked and was all apologies! He explained later that it had been years since he'd last seen me and I look way older and super different to what he expected. I think he feels pretty bad about it though, especially since at my Birthday dinner last week Josh told him that I still go on and on about that Ramones day, and Andrew kinda belived him a little i think. I was trying to disprove Josh's cheeky antics... hopefully he doesn't think I'm hung up on it. To be honest I had forgotten all about it until he brought it up at dinner. On my card he wrote something along the lines of "If you have received this card and gift it means I recognise you. You are my cousin. Jade." which i totally didn't get and he had to remind me! haha!

So anywayyyy he has been travelling the world and works as a photographer and has some cool pictures and lots of stories! Some of which are about India as he spent 3 months there one time! I am dyiiinnngggg to go to India - possibly late next year - so he said I should read this book called "Holy Cow". He said "I'll post it to you!" and he did. I am discovering that he is an action man:

And he also included this CD he was telling me about called "The Sound of Wonder" which is a compilation of the best 60's and 70's tracks from Pakistani Lollywood films:

I put it on last night and was blown away. I only wish there was someone with me to experience it too. Maybe tonight I will play it for Josh and dance a little? It is soooo trippy and crazy and awesome. I cannot explain, you will just have to hear it for yourself...


I made that lame little track listing there for my own reference. When I listen to it again i can pick out my faves. I remember track 3 having a really strange beginning where the guy was making lots of bonkers noises with his mouth! So anyway, I am thankful to my Random Action Man cousin (RAM) {ramalamadingdong} for sending me those gifts. I'll have to figure out what to do with the book cos he is going overseas soon to hang out with my other cousin who lives in New York with her photographer husband Keate Barker (who is by the way apparently a big deal these days). I'll keep it safe until his return :) YAY for snail mail!!

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! Josh is funny to do that to your cousin haha. It's nice and funny that he wrote that on the card too, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh i love keate's photography!

    ReplyDelete