August 20, 2010

ich und meine kartoffelpuffer

Yeah i am so totally, like, german right now. Like, oh my god. Look. at. this...


hahaha yeah not photogenic. By the way, that twilight poster at work totally isn't mine. It's an "office poster" which was given to dragana for free at Borders. I swear. Anyway translation of the title: "Me and my kartoffelpuffer". Further translation: Me and my german potato fritters. I first learned about kartoffelpuffers at Adelaide's "Schutzenfest" beer festival. I think I even ate one... haha. The reason i can pronounce it so well is because i learnt how to say it when i was Schitzenfaced ... delayed lol.

So this works out to be Dish 4 of my 52 dish challenge :) Everyone at work was excited by my list, but my German co-worker was especially excited that i might spread the joy of german cuisine. So here is my first foray into german kviziiine. It was her idea for us to make them at work for everyone so it worked out well because she could teach me ze german vay! OMGGGGGG SLIDESHOW!!!!












MMMM! I don't think carrot is in the original recipe, thats something she likes to add. Basically it's grated potato, carrot, and onion mixed with some egg and flour until it reaches "the right consistency" then you shallow fry them. Easy. Oh and they MUST be served with apple sauce (apfel mus). I think they would also be delicious with salt and pepper instead! You can search a recipe for quantities cos i dont know them! All i can say is that they are yummo, and the thinner the better because it goes all crunchy!!

what a pig! I'm really excited now! I think perhaps attempting a foreign recipe is best if you make it with someone who knows the ropes! It isn't essential but it's kinda cool! I told my boss that his Pakistani wife should show me a thing or 2! I dont know if he will ask her or not. I contemplated asking my Vietnamese neighbours if they could show me something cool but i'm scared as i have never met them! Plus the guy sings creepy baritone opera when i'm in the bathroom and it freaks me out a bit. I'm starting to think of other people i could ask! My dad is friends with a lovely Slovenian lady, i should totally ask her - she effing LOVES cooking! Is it weird to do that?? hahaha eatern european cuisine, make me your BITCH

No comments:

Post a Comment