August 30, 2010

BOOYAH BITCHES!

item 2... complete.

Well helllooooo! I know that doesn't sound like a hard task BUT i have been talking about eating at an African restaurant for like...years. I used to go to Uni in Footscray which is this crazy (and dodgy) multicultural hub. When you get off the train in Footscray it's not until you bypass the homeless beggars and screaming junkies, and dodge a flying spitball aimed at your feet by a gang of African teens that you can really appreciate its charm. If you can learn not to look anyone in the eye then you'll be ok. There are so many cultures in Footscray and you can find the most interesting shops, foods, nicknacks and restaurants. I went to uni there every day for 3 years, and with only 2 verbal threats on my life and one spit attack I came out in one piece. Contrary to its reputation, i was never offered drugs in Footscray. A few guys i know have been, but maybe i don't look like the usual suspect. My trick to avoid people was to turn my ipod UP and look DOWN and walk super fast until i got to uni puffing my lungs out and my legs aching with shin splints. I did like the big Savers store there, and the asian bakeries which sold my favourite red bean cakes - still warm! Oh and of course the Donut van next to the station fills the air with the smell of cinnamon and grease - unforgetable!

I remember one day back at uni, Maki (my housemate) and I were on a lunch break from class and went for a little walk planning to grab lunch at an African cafe. As we slowed our pace down approaching the place, we met eyes with about 15 burly African dudes sitting inside smoking cigars with foreboding looks on their faces. We picked up the pace and continued on to Hungry Jacks or something. So needless to say i felt a kind of hesitation in trying to return for lunch any time soon. About 1-2 years ago i made a list of African restaurants in Footscray i wanted to try but never got around to organising it. Slack... yes - that's why it went on the list. To make sure i do it. SO last week I suggested to my friend Trav that we should make it happen, and it was as simple as that. Here are some shots from Cafe Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant in Footscray...


Derek Tibs (aka "Crunchy") - a top top top yummo dish

i have no idea what these were... but they were amazing.

These were: (clockwise from top) Doro Wat, Tibs, (Something) Special, and a vegetarian selection of lentils etc.

this is the bread "injera" that you use to eat the meat with. It lines the platter so you just tear pieces off and scoop up some meat!

this was our finished platter - between 3 of us. looks a bit like poo... but it tasted just amazing. So many spices i'd never had before!! My friend Renee has the 'special' dish and i just couldnt work out the flavours. I loved it! So now i want to cook Tibs or Derek Tibs at home so I'll have to go spice shopping in Footscray soon! HOORRRAHHHH!!!!! I still feel like i am about to burst from eating that food haha. Amazing times in little Ethiopia...

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap how good is African food! You should definitely try the Horn in Collingwood, they have cool live music too.

    http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject.cfm/objectid.0B7ABFD1-C58C-4480-86E08A1D189D9313/

    You me and Josh also need to finally go to Borscht Vodka and Tears, that place is the best.

    ReplyDelete