May 17, 2010

impromptu radelaide road trip

so with a 3 day weekend ahead of me, I wondered what I could do that was a little different than the usual weekend. I was not looking forward to cleaning the house again or unpacking those last few boxes of crap you hardly use, nor for looking at cars. My mum had said she was keen to escape to Adelaide for a few days and i suggested that we utilise my 3 days off to the maxxx!

So at 8:30am Friday we set off for sunny (compared to Melbourne) rAdelaide! Now, I have talked about Adelaide before if you recall... it's an Australian state capital which often cops a lot of flak...? Don't remember? Well, just google search "Awesome things to do in..." and see if it comes up:

No...? Ok, try to be more specific and see what suggestions you get:

No suggestions..? Hmm.. Ok, well just look at these pictures I took of my nice time there.


ah, some local graffiti. You see this first one at Nhill and they continue on for most of the trip. So funny!

Along the way on the 8 hour trip, you will see some amazing landmarks. Above we have "The Giant Koala" and below, the infamous "Land Rover on a Pole"...

Sometimes you just need to stretch your legs out a bit.




Whilst in Adelaide, you may feel as though you are back in time. This is a normal reaction, but stay calm and it will pass. For instance I saw this Barnacle Bill restaurant, long extinct in Melbourne...

It's always nice to arrive somewhere after a whole day of driving and be greeted by a lamb roast!

And something to peruse as you wait for that juicy lamb to be cut up. Note: Larry David tattoo.




if i were to get a tattoo, i think a dim sim would be my #1 choice. Oh, and below is Bubba:

Adorable. She was so hungry (ie. friendly to me) and wanted my cup of tea..


We went for a stroll through the Central Adelaide Markets - just as cool as the Vic Markets but CHEAPER! I think these are pasties being made:


and i got an organic PIZZA PIE. sickening yet un-fuking-believably delicious!





Oh yes, poor Bec had half a bottle of red in her bag for us to drink at our ritzy hotel room, but while we were walking she bumped the wall and the wine bottle cracked in her bag spilling burgundy all over the pavement. A homeless man laughed at us as we tried to get all of her clothes out of the bag. There were a few casualties amongst them but we got them cleaned up.

creepy hallway at the hotel:

emo cow:

still about 4-5 hours from home, and it was my turn to drive the night shift:


needless to say i am very exhausted today at work... despite going in the spa and steam room yesterday and having the most chilled weekend ever. so damn tired...

2 comments:

  1. i lol'd at the google thing

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny! Adelaide not coming up in the google experiment! :) Glad you had fun Jade. Too bad about that red wine, poor Bec. Hope you got another one instead! ;)

    ReplyDelete