June 3, 2010

muckin' about & VEGAN MABO DOUFU

Heyyy Brotherrr(z)! After my last post, I bet you thought I would have chained myself to the VCR and watched all of my home movies right? Wrong. I have only watched a few bits more. It's hard cos I'll only watch them alone or with a family member - I don't want to subject my housemates to that haha! I did see a Christmas tape from 1988 so i was 1.5yrs old and was so fat and placid. All i wanted was the chocolate. I was happy to share any of my toys with my hyperactive older brother, and I wasn't really interested in opening any presents. Just wanted that sweet sweet Freddo Frog. T'was rather cute though. Instead of that I have been just hanging out and cooking! I haven't really taken many pics cos i suck BUT let me tell you that adding mustard to curry is AMAZING! Here is a photo I took on the weekend when i couldn't stop singing that Italian song that sounds all dancey...i think its called "we speak no americano"... crazy

It is a moth on the roof. Not sure how its wings are stuck and its whole body is hanging down. Oh also, I bought a car on the weekend to replace my beloved EBI which was stolen from me about a month or so ago. It is hail damaged so i got it for cheap, see:

There were these crazy storms in Melbourne a few months back and all these cars got SMASHED! So I picked up this 2003 Nissan Pulsar for a total of $6,000 with all the warranties/RWC/VIV/Rego etc etc. Pretty sweeet! I just spoke to the VIV office again and they said it could be another 2 weeks before they can inspect the car and say "no, its not stolen." UGGHHHH!! Patience jade, patience.. soon enough you will have your awesome replacement MANUAL GOLD CAR! YAY! Sorry if that sounded crazy talking to myself there...
Oh also, My mum bought her puppy a little pet house but the puppy is too big, so mum thought Chester might like it. See for yourself:


I think he likes it to a degree :) He can barely fit in it though. But cats like those confined spaces don't they?

Ok well I know I said that I didn't take pictures of the meals i have been making, but last night I did! Even though I have a cold and my taste function is pretty much dead, I cooked a dish that I have been thinking about for a while! It is called Mabo Doufu. It's a chinese dish involving Silken Tofu and ground beef. It's popular in Japan and I had it there a few years ago as part of a delicious Lunch Set. On a whim on Monday I bought 2 tubs of silken tofu from the Asian Grocery at 99c each, then I had to think what to cook. That's when I remembered this delectable dish! I found a vegan version online and changed it to suit my tastes, and even though I couldn't taste it, I know it was FABULOUS (sorry, just practising for Sex and the City 2)! Josh and Hayden both raved about it, so I'm pretty sure this recipe won't kill you.
~
VEGAN MABO DOUFU
~
1 Tub silken tofu
1 Tin Sanitarium Vegie Casserole Mince (see picture below)
3 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 chili pepper, minced. (or chilli powder to your liking)
1 small onion, minced
3 Button mushrooms
1/2 leek, minced (white part)
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce + 1tsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Cornflour + 1/2 Cup water
(Optional: Miso Paste - i forgot to add this - SHITFUCKSHIT)
Spring Onion for garnish


1) Very gently wrap the silken tofu block in a tea towel and place on a plate to soak up liquid.
2) Heat the oil and add Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Leek, Mushrooms and chili. Fry until onions are soft
3) Cut the tofu into 1cm squares. Be gentle as you want little cubes in the finished dish.
4) Add the vegie casserole mince and stir to combine.
5) Add Soy/sugar mixture and stir.
6) VERY GENTLY add the tofu. Lightly push everything around to mix. Try to be careful not to break the tofu
7) Cover and cook on a low heat for about 10 mins.
8) Add the cornflour/water mixture. Gently stir, you will see it thicken immediately!
9) Taste and add extra flavours if you wish. I added pepper and some vegie oyster sauce.

Here is how I served it:


I used the Rice Cooker to cook the rice, and when it was done i used a 1 cup measuring cup and packed it tightly with Rice, and then tipped onto a plate. It was actually a bit much for me, but a 1/2 cup looks too small :P I also stir-fried some asian greens along with it. So it was pretty healthy and easy and delicious (i think). Do try!

1 comment:

  1. Jade, you are a photographer, a chef, a designer...is there anything you can't do? Can you cook for me one night, I'm pretty fussy but I bet you can do it :) Xx

    ReplyDelete