December 1, 2010

little shop of horrors: ORIGIN

Yo yo yo yo yoy oyo yo yoyyooooo!!! So, you all remember Josh's friend Jim, yes? He let me borrow his Dutch cookbook, and NOW has let me borrow his "Creepy Things" DVD set! BEHOLD... 20 great scary movies!!!!!!!!!!!!! 


check out some of these promising movie titles...

Did you happen to see the name "Kim Cattrall" next to 1977's 'Good Against Evil'?? Well it's there if you want to look again! T'aint goin' nowhere. Samanth off Sex in the City... the early years. Also, I'm excited to see some of the Vincent Price ones!! I kicked things off last night by watching 1960's Little Shop of Horrors "starring" Jack Nicholson. I do have the ultimate soft spot for Jacky boy, he is an absolute legend. Also, I have the Rick Moranis re-make on DVD too, so I thought I'd start off on a familiar note. It was pretty pretty pretty cool! So, it's 50 years old yeah!! How awesome is that!? It was Black and White, and unlike the stage show and movie re-make, it is NOT a musical! It was a horror... and I think it's meant to be a comedy too. Maybe a black comedy. 

There was one scene that made me laugh. It was some dialogue between two detectives on the case. It's in that abrupt wise guy dialogue. Check it (courtesy of IMDB):

Det. Sgt .Joe Fink: How's the wife, Frank?
Det. Frank Stoolie: Not bad, Joe.
Det. Sgt .Joe Fink: Glad to hear it. The kids?
Det. Frank Stoolie: Lost one yesterday.
Det. Sgt .Joe Fink: Lost one, huh? How'd that happen?
Det. Frank Stoolie: Playing with matches
Det. Sgt .Joe Fink: Well, those're the breaks
Det. Frank Stoolie: I guess so.

Haha, so dry. The scenes that were slapstick weren't really my style...contrary to the fact that I actually LOVE physical comedy. There was a show on TV at mum's last night which was a top 20 countdown of injuries. Soooo goood! Anyway. I thought Jack Nicholson must have played a major role, like... SEYMOUR or something, which is what this movie poster would suggest...


But actually, this is Seymour:


Jonathan Haze. He was really good! Jack Nicholson was good too, but he actually played a small character called "Wilbur Force". If you've seen the re-make you'll remember Bill Murray as the masochistic dental patient getting off on the pain? Well Jack was the original masochistic dental patient :)


 I remember Bill did a good job, in the scene he knows his way around the dental surgery and puts on his own bib, stuffs his own mouth with cotton and all that stuff ready for crazy sadistic Steve Martin to bring on the pain. In the original, Seymour poses as the dentist and Nicholson convinces his to pull some teeth and leaves with half his teeth gone. Pretty 1960 funny :) If my maths is correct, Jack Nicholson is about 23 years old in that picture. Craaaazy!!  

So what should I watch next? Any ideas? I like the sound of "The Brain the wouldn't die", or maybe "The Dead Eyes of London". Weeeeeeeee

No comments:

Post a Comment