January 31, 2011

Katsu Katsu Katsu-don!

AHOY MATEYS!!! Well, lookie here. Dish numero thirty five-o COOKED! This little old dish is a Japanese dish involving meat schnitzel over rice. Anything suffixed with "-don" just means it's a rice dish! So this is a cutlet (katsu) rice dish (don). Ever literal hey? I found the recipe online of course at J-simple recipes. They have some cool things on there! I got myself some Pork steak from the vic market... possibly not the right meat to use?? Dunno. Maybe i should have just tenderised it, it was uber tough.


Ingredients: (serves 4)
4 eggs
1 onion
4 deep–fried breaded pork cutlets
4 servings steamed rice
150 ml bonito soup stock
5 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar (the original recipe used double this but i found it too sweet)

The recipe used pre-cooked cutlets, so i had to crumb and cook them my own way. I used panko crumbs - the japanese breadcrumb. Ultra crunchy! So yeah, cook them in oil....


Then chop them up into slices on a board but try to maintain the structural integrity of the whole piece if that is possible. Meanwhile, boil the bonito soup stock, sugar, soy sauce and onion for 3 minutes on medium heat. When it is ready, add some of the liquidy onion stuff to the frypan and lay 2 of your schnitzles in the liquid and let it go for a few minutes...


Then crack your eggs into a cup and beat gently, then try to pour 1 per schnitzel:


Then serve over rice, and garnish if you wish, then crack a japanese beer and relax.


The last integral step is to eat so much that you feel actually SICK and wish you had made a salad... voila! So, it's about time I start cooking some HEALTHY dinners right? What kind of example am I setting for the children of the world?! But seriously, It can't be great. My dad actually patted my belly after i finished lunch yesterday at my brother's birthday celebration... I know how to non-verbally communicate dad, I know what you were saying. That is not good. If anyone actually says anything though, I would literally eat their head off. Not even joking, I may be hungry..

No comments:

Post a Comment