March 29, 2011

Adelaide, my old friend!

Adelaide is a little bit like our cousin to the west who we visit sometimes. They are cool to visit for short periods of time, and you have some amazing times, but sometimes you notice they don't have things at their place that you really enjoy and take for granted back home. It's not until you're hung over and hungry on a Sunday morning in Adelaide that you realise how much you love going out for breakfast in the city. Hell, back home you did it all the... well... maybe twice a year if the mood strikes. After you've passed your fourth "Closed" sign on a cafe door... you start to feel that "I wan't my muuu-uum!" tantrum rising up inside you, like it did on Day 1 of school. Year 7 was daunting, what can I say? If you know how to have fun, or know a local who does... then Adelaide is actually a great little getaway. You still have most of the city comforts (unless skyscrapers are your 'thing') but with the added bonus of less people, less traffic, less noise and lots of unspoilt natural views.

Luckily for me, I know how to have fun, and so does my cousin Bec who lives in Adelaide. For those of you who haven't followed this blog for long, I should point out that this latest Adelaide Adventure is just one of my countless trips to the S of A. I haven't really gone THAT many times but I have already lost count which must say something. On second thought, I think all it really says is that I'm not very good at counting to 10...

I realised that it had been about a year since my last visit, which Bec and I both agreed was far too long. I also realised with horror that I had been away for so long that I didn't know 2 of her new housemates and had to make new friends and good impressions!! (Just like Peter Pan *sob*) I have a feeling that Bec might talk me up to her friends privately, so I felt a definate need to perform for these 2 new housemates and prove that our family aren't all a bunch of liars.

This time around I chose to fly as I didn't fancy an eight hour solo car trip. Either I would have picked up a serious caffeine addiction, fallen asleep at the wheel, wrapped my car around the giant Koala's left nut, or worse... run out of This American Life podcasts to listen to on the way back home, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Anyway, I had some reading to do, and I'm not very good at reading and driving. Just kidding, mum and dad! So, reliable old Dad dropped me at Avalon Airport and I was quite amazed to see some of the improvements inside since my last visit. There was even a 10-minute massage lady there who I never worked up the courage to approach. I thought about asking her to work on my right shoulder where some absent-minded guy had just elbowed me while putting his arm around his girlfriend, not realising that I had been sitting behind him for at least half an hour reading. Well, I should say trying to read... as their conversation and neccessary eavesdropping was so distracting! It took me some time to work out that I wasn't sitting behind John Saffran. I've never heard the word Anti-Semitist used in day to day life before. I guess I must hang out in the wrong circles. Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing B-ball with Edward Norton in prison or anything, I'm waaaaay far from that scene. I'm usually jealous of anyone with a bit of cultural background - these cats were Jewish-Australian and were talking about the meal, nay BANQUET, they would be eating for dinner in Adelaide. I was trying to work the names of the dishes but I'm not well versed on Jewish cuisine. Sadly, in more ways than one, all I know about Jewish cuisine is learnt from The Nanny or The Big Bang Theory.

Anyway, upon arrival at Bec's place, we started off our weekend (Thursday afternoon) with a drink and some cheese. It seemed like a divine idea at the time!!






It wasn't long until her first foreign-to-me housemate got home from work with an arm-full of tie-dye accessories. Here's what I know about Matt. He's in a band called "Isle of Vision", is really chilled in a hippie surfie way, has big fuzzy brown hair, is funny and loves to tie-dye. Dislikes: being called "Dad" by cheeky girls from Melbourne. I may be missing several key personality points, but what can I say, I'm just a lovable scamp and my pretty pictures can detract from the lack of information. While we tie-dyed we listened to some mood-setting CD's selected by Matt. My favourite was a band called "LOVE".. if they weren't off their chops when they wrote that albumn, then I'm a deep sea cucumber. Here's a tip I'd like to share: The first rule of tie-dye is usually PUT ON GLOVES, so heed the advice. But rules are meant to be broken right? Well we all had blue fingers later that night. Bec and I were heading out to the Garden of Un-Earthly Delights as part of the Adelaide Fringe Festival to see some shows. Unfortunately we had already consumed 2 bottles of champagne before leaving her house and, as if by divine intervention, as soon as we stepped off the bus in the city we were handed a "ladies night" coupon for a free vodka. It was a sign. We must get messy. Here is me just after the vodka, showing my blue fingers... and full bosom. I must have been a little tipsy if I'm looking through the viewfinder of a digital camera....


We arrived at the Garden (Rundle Park on East Terrace) and as it was a Thursday night we had room to move and be silly and take pictures.


Do you see what I see?......


Scream Mask, oh yeah! So let's just say we had lots of fun from what we can remember, and the following afternoon after I had finished feeding her front lawn and had re-gained the use of my legs, we went to inspect our tie-dye handy-work! Pretty neat-o huh?

Here is housemate Matt and his band in the Local Paper... They got one of the guys names wrong and it became a house joke :)


It was on this Friday that we heard news of the Tsunami and earthquakes in Japan, and we followed the news story while I tried not to worry too much about Shiho. She is fine, in case you are wondering, but she dropped out of contact for a few weeks! Stress!! Speaking of stress, we came home on Saturday afternoon to find two birds in the kitchen, slamming into walls and furniture in their panic to get out. They throught if they hit the walls hard enough they might penetrate it and end up outside I think. It wasn't until Bec rescued them and set them free (while i stood flat against the furthest wall) that she told me about the last time it happened and pointed out the blood on the roof to prove it. Yucck!

So, Bec's housemate Megan was jealous of our awesome Tie-dye and wanted a turn, so we arranged for another session. Check out the one I made - I'm wearing it... and notice I am wearing gloves too!!

Sadly, it wasn't my t-shirt, I just used one of the housemate's spares to work my magic on. My own results the second time around were not as impressive! I didn't even take pictures... that's really saying something for me :) This is Bec's... I love how much white there is! It reminds me of 90's acid wash or something...


Saturday night I got to visit "Good Life" Organic Pizza store. There is one in Glenelg and one in the City - that's the one we went to! I got an amazing mushroom pizza with aioli, and Bec got a roast veggie pizza - complete with roast beetroot. The Hessian Sack swag and tail curtains in the bay window were simply adorable!

We went back to the garden to catch up with some more Adelaide crew - including Tom, an avid home cook and youtube chef who has his own wood fire pizza oven at his house!!! Next time we are going to arrange a pizza cook-up! Saturday night we saw "Cantina" - a Spanish acrobatic show in the Speigel Tent (sp?) which blew my mind! The tent was gorgeous, and the acrobats had so much multi-faceted talent, and I even saw a guy naked. Value for money: I think yes! Sunday, my last day, was beautiful weather. My aunty Christine and her husband Dennis came to pick us up and take us to the Barrossa Valley! I love going places with them, I feel like a little kid again!! They pack us chilled water and snacks in the back of the 4WD and we sit in the back giggling like we would have around age 10 :)

In particular, we visited MAGGIE BEER'S FARM!! I don't know if you know, but I love Maggie Beer! She is a South Australian cook, who has released some cook books, has a supermarket line of preserves and products made from Barrossa produce, and is on the show "The Cook and the Chef". I love her, I wish she was an aunty or grandma of mine :) *sigh* look how happy i was to be at her cute little pheasant farm/shop/cafe....

I spent a fair bit of money there, but it was worth it. I wanted to buy more! My lovely aunty bought me a product I have covetted for months now: Verjuice. She also bought me a book written by Maggie on how to cook with Verjuice! Luckkkyy!! I also picked up some Pomegranate and rasberry jam, some tomato, basil, olive and rocket sugo, and some Barrossa tomato sauce!


As always on my trips to Adelaide, I come back with way more than I went with. I had such a good time and can't wait to get back there! Next Fringe Festival, here i come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment