April 23, 2009

daftly d.i.y

This is my first post about my "home improvements" and general handyman greatness. Over the last couple of years I have been hoarding things I have no real use for, but because they look nice. Recently it was hard rubbish time in my neighbourhood (the ghetto) and my boy and I were driving around in search of a simple desk for me to put my art crud on, rather than on the dining table *blush*. Then, what should I see before me on the nature-strip* but the most amazing desk i have ever seen, and if I were to compare it to the standard of other hard rubbish collection items, then my head would explode. Therefore, I will settle upon the fact that it's an awesome desk in general.

* I bet this sounds funny to anyone NOT Australian. Nature Strip... Oh man, now it sounds funny to me :(

This sexy desk is my newest project, and instead of adding it to the pile I have decided to begin work on it right away. Here are the original bare-all portraits of the desky:













Apologies for the darkness, dang garage light is dim...
Anyway, after giving it a bit of a clean, i aquired some white gloss paint and a brush and some turps. I have then proceeded to paint inside the little cubby holes. I have done 3 coats, over the course of 3 nights, and it might need a 4th... maybe.
My plan is to get some nice a) Contact paper, b) wrapping paper, c) wall paper, and stick this to the backing inside the cuppy holes.
I also want to add a blotting board to the fold down part. Of course i also need to repair the handles, the top shelf, and the hinges that allow the front to fold down.
Bit of a job.
............
.......
...
.
~Stay tuned~

No comments:

Post a Comment